The Value of a Smile


Isn’t it wonderful what a smile can do. You smile at me, I smile at you, and so one smile makes two.
Actions they say speak louder than words, and how very true. An expression too, can work wonders for you. Just see what a smile can do. It is worth a million dollars yet doesn’t cost a thing.

      When I think of a smile, I think of my first day at Primary school. I was so excited as I left home for school. The excitement died when I saw the new school. Suddenly, I felt afraid, alone and abandoned. It did not help that many other girls were crying just like me. Then, someone smiled at me. A smile that seemed to say “don’t worry”. I smiled back and by recess time I had made a friend, who remains dear to me even till today. I often wonder what might have happened if I had not smiled back but I’m glad I did, for that smile started a friendship I hope will last a life time. And, it did.

      A smile is truly magical. A mother’s loving smile gives encouragement to her children. A doctor’s smile of compassion gives hope to a patient. A friend’s tender smile can give you strength when you are down.

      A smile is the unspoken word of love, courage, warmth, encouragement, hope and understanding. The things money cannot buy. However a smile has no value until it is given away. It only takes a moment to give a smile but the memory of it sometimes lasts forever. Such is the power of a smile.

     For I know, its true that when you smile, the whole world smiles with you.